Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ask For Permission


One of the worst things a roommate can do is sell, steal, donate, and destroy your property without permission. When I was living in a tower apartment one of my roommates stole my white board and tore off the wooden borders. I was furious because he went into my bedroom, took the board, erased all my class notes, and price listings to sell his alcohol. He could have at least called or sent a text before using my board, but he was inconsiderate of others and cared only about making money. In addition, this same roommate stole my fabric softener and waffle iron. He claimed both items were his but I knew the fabric softener was mine because I cut each sheet in half, a habit my mom taught me. I also knew the waffle iron was mine because my parents did not want it and forced me to take it. In the end, my solution to my roommate’s stealing habit was simply stealing back what was mine. When my roommate was not home I dug through his laundry and took back my fabric softeners. I also hid my waffle iron behind my dresser. Eventually, my bad roommate moved out and I found his waffle iron hidden in the back of the kitchen pantry. When he moved out, I claimed his waffle iron and a large pot he left behind. I guess “what goes around comes around.” My roommate stole and damaged my stuff, and a few years later I kept all the things he left behind. Life works that way sometimes.

4 comments:

Dylan said...

Damn, that certainly seems like a frustrating ordeal. I have had roommate problems in the past, and at a certain point the best decision sometimes is to move out. But what I'm wondering is how well did you know this guy? Were you friends with him at any point? I have lived with someone I met on Craigslist, and the distinction between roommate and friend was clear from the very beginning. I had my own key to my room, and barely spoke to her. But nothing ever got stolen. you have to choose your roommates wisely, or live by yourself =)

Rex_Mole said...

Thanks Dylan for the response. Yeah I met my roommates through a friend, and for the most part I really did not know anyone. Now that I am currently living with actual friends I have to say living with people I met in the dorms was one of the worst decisions I made in college. I do not speak to any of my former roommates. So to answer your question they were never really my friends. One person stole money from me, another person made a mess of everything, and another guy did not support me during rent problems. Dylan you are correct. You have to choose roommates wisely, because sometimes you are better off living alone.

Karina said...

Fortunately for me I never had roommates who actually took anything of mine without my permission. I'm blessed that way, I know. So sorry that you had to deal with this. I hope that your current or future roommates are better.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a horrible roommate. It sounds like the person has never had to respect anyone else's stuff. Even though this is very lame, that person is going to get a real big reality check! Unfortunately you will not be there when it happens :(

Maybe something to consider when getting new roommates is to establish boundaries so that no one takes advantage of the other. Sorry you had to go through with that but its experiences like this that make you thankful when you live by yourself! hold strong!