Monday, February 21, 2011

Snoring


  I cannot write a blog about roommates without mentioning myself because no one can ever be a perfect roommate. The biggest issue living with me is my snoring. I have heard horror stories about my snoring for the past three years, and I think I can confidently say I snore louder than screaming. My snoring constantly wakes people up at night. In fact, I occasionally wake myself up. My roommate, Fred, usually kicks my bed, or lifts my blanket to stop my snoring. Unfortunately, I wake up whenever he bothers me, and then I go back to snoring within a minute. One morning I snored so loud I woke up my entire house:
Roommate 1: Oh, man. What is that loud roar?
Roommate 2: That would be D.
Roommate 1: Oh. Oh! How can Fred sleep at night?
 When I wake up:
Me: Oh. My throat hurts. Did I wake anyone up?
Roommate 1 (screaming from his room): Yeah. You woke me up.
All my roommates, past and present, have experienced my loud snoring. I usually give them a head start at sleeping, but I still wake them up. I think my snoring is hereditary because I do not think my family suffers from sleep apnea, and only they can snore as loud as me.

6 comments:

Christopher Selland said...

Ha! This is great. Looking at yourself as the roommate through the eyes of your roommates. Interesting concept. I'm sorry you have a snoring problem. Aren't there medicines or something that can cure this? I hope there are. Also, great that you even wake yourself up... Crazy. Anyway, great concept, and liked the attention to detail and all the examples of different scenarios of your snoring fits. Awesome.

Jeff said...

Snoring is one of those things you just can't help. So at least you aren't doing it intentionally right? As someone who also has a roommate who snores i totally understand the problem. Many nights i have been kept up by the loud AHGH's from across the room. Needless to say my desire to beat the snores into submission were stifled only by my politeness. But seriously, snoring sucks, and it must almost as bad if you're the one responsible. Condolances

Lauren Rubin said...

Oh no! Snoring is the worst! I feel for your roommates. I used to live with a guy who shook our entire 5 bedroom house when he snored. I swear the neighbors thought we were torturing a large animal every night. At least there are worse things you could be doing. I got used to the loud snoring roommate, I'm sure your's will too! :)

EmilyB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EmilyB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EmilyB said...

Hahahaha this is a hilarious post! Roommate stories are inevitably going to be embarrassing, and I think it's great that you offer some humor at your own expense! I had this same roommate dilemma - but way before college! My Filipina grandmother (my Lola) used to live with my family when I was little and helped take care of me and my brother. I shared a room with her for about 6 years, and of course we had roommate problems! She snores soooo loud, and she too would even wake herself up! I had to get creative with my methods of waking her up - luckily she wasn't offended that I would frequently throw pillows at her hahaha! She was cool about it, which makes me laugh thinking back on it.

Sometimes I ran out of pillows though to throw at her! I love my Lola, but not her snoring...