Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Misadventures of a Semi-Professional Comedian (Voice writing)

Last time I went to San Jose I went to a club that was hosting an open mic. Thankfully they allowed only ten people to do stand up, so the event was not going to go over two hours. However, I was schedule to go up last. The problem with going last is you have a small crowd or no crowd to entertain. The first few guys delivered decent material, and people laughed at their jokes. Unfortunately, by the sixth person half the crowd left. The next person that went up afterwards absolutely failed at his deliveries which turned the crowd cold. Eventually, I got to perform there were only fourteen people that stood around to watch me, although four people were my friends that came along for support. The crowd laughed at most of my jokes and gave applause when I finished my bit. It was a decent night despite being last and dealing with a cold crowd. The San Jose crowd is different from San Francisco. I think my jokes are harder for San Jose folks to relate to. Perhaps I should visit San Jose and Santa Clara more often to work on new material. Maybe that will boost my stand-up.

No comments: